Monday, May 24, 2010

My Sister, Cynthia



My sister
I just spent a few days with my daughter in laws in NYC. It was. Amazing and information for another blog but it did start me thinking about sisters.
I only have one. She is an amazing person and so important to me. I bet she has no idea how incredible she is and the impact she has had on my life.



Cynthia was just about three years younger than me. She was just younger enough that she was in elementary when I was experiencing Jr. High angst and by the time she experiencing her own Jr. High trauma I was oblivious and on to high school intrigue.
By the time she was in high school I had moved on to BYU. Though we shared a room all of our had matching dresses for most holidays, received the same dolls in identical clothing we did not spend much time together as kids. Being just a year behind James I hung around with he and friends and Cynthia and her friends where on a different weave length most of the time.





Cynthia went about her life quietly making good choices like that of her husband. Eric is the kindest, most considerate husband and father ever. He would move the moon for Cynthia if asked. Everything she wants or needs he provides for her. They love doing things together like riding motorcycles and traveling to fun locations with their kids. This amazing family spends tons of time together as many of them are working together in Eric’s business.
As I went about dating like crazy, being engaged, writing a missionary. On, off and braking and having my heat broken. Cynthia just picked a really great man and got about building an amazing marriage.

We actually got engaged and married the same year.
For her colors she Choose every pastel in the rainbow which left me with red which pretty much describes our lives. She has lived with her family, In the same community for most of her married life. Her wonderful kids are all married and filled her home with grandchildren. Her life has been for the most part ordered, peacfull and serene from the outside. We all have our times.

I have lived in SLC, Los Angeles, Iowa, back to SLC and now in Buffalo. For me it is a mammoth undertaking to get my kids together. Hers can come by every Sunday if they want and most of them live within 10 miles of her. Can I tell you how envy this…….Her energy and ability to be and enjoy being a grandparent? She is also a caring daughter in law. Eric is from a family of boys and Cynthia has loved his Mother as if she were her own with Helping, caring, holidays and events. Just recently she helper her move north from St George to get additional care for Eric's father. She, Eric and two sons packer he up moved the lot and set up housekeeping with new furniture and amenities in their new dig in a matter of days.

We never more did one than one or two events as the four daughter in laws. We were all missing our lives with our families so much I don't remember much bonding. About 10 years ago my mother sprung for a trip to Europe for the three of us. Mom, Cynthia and Myself. It was wonderful. Cynthia and I were about the youngest on the tour and we had a ball exploring beyond the restructions of the tour. We saw and did thing that we had only dreamed of doing. I discovered a new adventurous side of my sister and we started to love each other as adults and friends.

Several years ago our family was in a severe accident. Jacky, one of Cynthia’s daughters was with us traveling to Lake Powel. From the canyon she called her folks for helps before the dust was settled. Eric and Cynthia came up the mountain. As my family was being life-flighted and sent by ambulance all over the Valley, Cynthia and Eric quietly collected all our belongs, food and preparations for a week at Lake Powell and took them to our home. For weeks I would stumbled upon their carefull handy work. Tears would roll down my cheeks thinking for their dear servicer to our family.

I only have one sister but she is a treasure. Sometimes if I can find her home I will call and see what is going on with her. The conversation usually starts slow as we catch up a bit on the parents or a currenting challenge but them if I can get her talking I am in for a treat of all the comings and goings of her fun family, filled with the delightful relationship of this family that work together and support each other.

I only have one sister. She is an amazing wife and mother and women I admire.

1 comment:

  1. I think Heavenly Father was on to something when he created "families!" I didn't have any sister, but I had cousins I cherished and became extra close with my mom. What a nice tribute to your sister and a nice memory to share.
    I know your daughters-in-law had a wonderful time in New York. The shopping was fun, the visiting was great, but if any of the others felt as Dixie did, the best part was being able to be with you! Keeping you in our prayers.....

    ReplyDelete