Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day 2010 My Mother



My parents sent me a vase of roses this week with a card saying they hoped I would have 23 more mothers days. Wow, I would love that but the changes are not real good. In fact this just may the last chance I have to pay tribute to the amazing mother that has taught, nurtured and loved me. The Chemo seems to be working. I have high hopes for some good days ahead but I think Keeping foccus on today and tomarrow will be good for me just now.
I wake up early in the morning feeling good, rested and thinking, "What if anything can I do of value today".

My thoughts have been on my Mom for a week now. I will not write a history since she is the writer and has done a pretty good Job of documenting her life. I just wanted to touch on her influence on me and what she passed on of most values.
Her ability to Work, Create and make the world a better place continually by her Can do, Can do it better and Get involved attitude.

Mom has survived Cancer now three times and is 82. I am still in my fifties and counting down. It is hard that I cannot have that extra 20 years to keep doing what I love but her example of doing all you can while you can has shaped my years and given me a wonder full life

Well here is the list of the things my Mother could do and tried to teach me.

She could keep a house. Every Saturday we cleaned, did laundry, changed beds, moped floors and folded clothes. The rest of the week we lived in the house but once a week it was neet and tidy. Every day you made your bed, picked up your clothes and took care of your responsibilities.

Mom was the one every one wanted on the committee, the Primary, the PTA the lunch group the party planning team because she was a doer. She had ideas, energy, time and talent do do not only her part but more. When she was the Sunday school chorister she was the best with visual aids and fund songe for the kids. When she was the PTA president new things were tried and she flew up the ranks.

When she sewed for herself and her daughters everyone wanted he to sew for them. She found the best dance and music teachers she could find for us and then became the costume master designing the things we would wear or paying for lessons with dresses that matched her daughters.


When she dipped chocolates, made bread or built a tray of brownies she became your new best friend in hopes that you would be the lucky recipient of her gifts.

She would design a new Christmas tree these most years and make the decorations by hand. Gifts were always wraped with care in the best paper with lovely bows and displayed under the tree days bedore Christmas. Parties sparkled with her themed decorations. Never crape paper but always something classy.

We learned ot tie bows like a florest, crochet, kit, embroider and sew because that is just what you knew to do if you were a women.

For Mom everything from her being valedictorian in High school to the same as she graduated from BYU when we were in our teens was done perfectly. She was a perfect librarian, teacher and principal having her students know more, do more and accomplish great things because she believed she could and so could they. On special days we attend BYU with her. We were inspired to be better.

She has written books, kept family history alive, connected family members as they have grown apart and never misses to send out birthday and Christmas cards. She is loyal to friends both old and new. Every great grandchild knows that Grandma Thompson loves them, knows their names and remembers them on special days. She was as determined in the Grandparent roll. Each Christmas for years had it's theme with some sort of hand crafted gifts or personally selected items to bring the group together.

I have been driven to be just a shadow of this great lady as she studied the Gospel and learned to be a great missionary. Her spiritual strength was always solidly behind all these other achievements in fact the motivation to gain that principal of intelligence that she hoped would rise with her. I never did learn to make home made chocolates. I stopped sewing for myself soon after I got married. However her example of working to make things happen has stayed with me. If I am breathing I can do it, Make it better, nicer or sweeter for someone.

I love you mom for your example on how to live a rich and wonderful life. We are all better because you choise to be our Mother. Love, Susan

7 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to your mother. Obviously you came from someone great....you aren't a shadow but a reflection of this great woman. This is such a true post. Your mom is a wonderful woman and we feel lucky to call her grandma (great-grandma) too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Grandma Beverly too. It is fun to learn more about her. You have many of her great qualities in you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Sue-that was a beautiful tribute. You are an amazing woman and a great example to everyone around you.
    -Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, my mom let us know about your blog. My family and I sure love you. The kids still talk about your Buffalo house and how much they loved visiting you and Merril. You are an amazing lady and it's no surprise your mom is so amazing also. The apples don't fall far from the tree. My mom speaks of you whenever I email or talk to her. She loves you so much. We are praying for you always. Much, much love! Corinne and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi susan...I found your blog through Adrian's and though I'm sorry that the news isn't good, I am thankful that you are writing such great posts. What an amazing mother you have and this explains why you are so amazing as well. I was always impressed with your great spirit and generousity while we were in Buffalo. We'll keep you in our prayers and thoughts!!!
    Jolene Nagel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your tribute to your Mom. She is an amazing woman. And so are you. It has been fun to see the pictures of your family on Facebook. I still remember the shower your mother gave me just before I married Robert, she had made these grapes that were beautifully sugared, I had never seen that before and she told me how she made them. She has a generous heart. Robert and I want you to know that we are praying for you each day. Your trip to New York looked so fun. What darling girls you were with. And you are such a wonderful and beautiful lady too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I know more about how you became such an amazing woman!! Your Mom is a great woman, just like you. Been thinking so much about you....we keep praying, praying! I am grateful I found your blog. Did you already do the NYC trip? Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete